Friday 8 April 2011

I stopped sharing my views on politics and other things a few years ago for a few different reasons. First and foremost, I was tired. I was tired of only being half-listened to, and half-heard, and having people focus on one minute thing I said instead of the message I was trying to convey. I was tired of taking on the world with views that can't be pigeon-holed, yet made people label me one thing or another, which I am not. And I was tired of having people think they were on the same page as me, only to find that I did not agree with everything they agreed with. I was tired of trying to have a serious conversation about issues with people who would only regurgitate something they'd read, and taken on as their own, without fully considering every aspect of it. So, after graduating from university, I stopped having conversations about these types of issues. If all I was going to get out of my fellow graduates was something they'd read in a book required by their courses, why would I want to hear it from them instead of reading the book myself?

Now, as I am considering pursuing journalism as a career path, I've been told multiple times to "start a blog". So when I started thinking about what it was I would blog about exactly, it didn't take long for me to come up with a concept. What better place to share my opinion, in full, without interruption? Here I can lay out my entire argument without going off topic. And if someone doesn't like what I have to say, it isn't being shoved in their face - they can just stop reading it. So, what follows will be my best attempt at articulating the different perspective I have on the issues I've taken the most time to consider.

Also, I like debates, so if you feel you have a valid argument to something I've said, I'd love to hear it. It's how we all learn, and grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment